Monday, February 11, 2013

National xc mtb series round 3, Auckland, Hunua

It was another cloudless hot day for round 3 of the national series, we had a good start loop that went twice around a grass field and the course was mostly flat undulating tight single track with some fast climbs on grass fields which made for a hard fun course.




I had a good start avoiding a small crash and riding into the single track in 3rd. Coming out of the single track Dirk laid the power down and passed Anton, I just sat on for the ride behind the two (no way near as easy as I just made that sound haha) and made it about 3 quarters around the 1st lap and crashed losing sight of the lead and taking a while to pick everything up and start again, by then I was in 5th and still feeling strong I moved back into 3rd place by the 3rd lap then crashed again going back to 5th again. The pain was a bit more serious this time and pulling out felt like an option but I hate doing that so I chugged down a Mule Bar Cafe Cortado shot which happens to be loaded with caffeine which helps the brain forget about pain. By the last lap I was back in 3rd with Mikey Northcott sitting on, he passed me on before the last part of single track and got a small gap which I closed in the last 200m and we had a sprint battle to the finish, Mikey beat me by a couple of centimeters and we both had a sleep on the line, which in my opinion is a good way to finish a race. Finishing in 4th, pretty happy with how the legs were but the brain wasn't operating to well.



Cheers to Aroha for feeding me and the Auckland mtb club for putting on a great race with a good atmosphere and all my sponsors Yeti NZ, Blackseal Imports, Mulebar, Adidas Eyewear, Endura, Roam Industries, Southstar Shuttles Rotorua, and Wildland Consultants.

Peace out

1 comment:

  1. It is a race and everyone wants to win the race.So both players were trying fast and this accident occurs due to very short distance among them.

    ReplyDelete