Monday, May 20, 2013

Albstadt, Germany World Cup Round 1

I arrived in Munich, Germany two weeks ago and was picked up by the NZXC team which made for a relaxed trip to our accommodation in Sigmaringen, a big little town about 20km from the World cup course in Albstadt. NZXC, Adrian Retief and I were all staying in the same spot, a triathlete hangout of a Tri Club called ALZ that already had some New Zealanders and Australians staying which made it nearly feel like we weren't in a different country.
Sigmaringen Castle

Slide Time

After settling in we headed over to check out the course, my first impression was that it was a really fun course and I didn't notice the steep climbs that much, later on in the week though I did an effort on the course and realized how hard it was going to be to push in this race.

Race day came along quickly and I felt as ready as I could be, the sun was shinning and the birds were chirping. I was seeded back in 85th which on this track was a big disadvantage as there was no start loop and not enough passing for the 1st two laps.

The gun went off and I started my desperate charge to try and make up as many spots before the single track.

But after about a minute we were off our bikes and lining up to ride up the first climb and it was like this for most of the 1st lap, after that there was still a bit of congestion until half way through the 2nd lap, and I started to make up some places. Every climb was a sprint for the single track I was pushing my limit to make up spots hoping that it would help next weekend in the 2nd World Cup. By the last lap I was spacing out a bit, not being used to pushing the body so hard and had managed to move into 65th position sitting with a Swiss BMC rider, we could see a bunch of riders just ahead and it would be an easy 5 places, I messed this up though, crashing on a slippery downhill and snapping my seat clean off. I lost sight of the riders and was passed by six more as I did half a lap standing, trying to hold off cramp until finishing in 71st in the end.



(Where I Crashed)

I was pretty happy with how things were going until
the crash as the Swiss guy I was riding with finished up in 59th.

Next weekend I race the 2nd round of the World Cup series in Nove Mesto Na Morave, Czech republic. From memory this course has a much longer start loop and a bit more opportunity to pass.




Big thanks to Sam Thompson for feeding me and all the people out there cheering the Kiwis on! Also to Merida for giving me a new seat for free to replace the old one.

Cheers

big

No comments:

Post a Comment