Sunday, June 16, 2013

World Cup #3, Val Di Sole

The world cup series returned to Val Di Sole after a one year break, not much had changed here since my last visit, the sun was still shining as bright as ever and the temperature still set on high. It was good to finally arrive in summer over here in Europe.
The race course had definitely made a change though and for the better. The course now started off with a few short steep climbs and downhills with tight tricky sections through trees and rocks followed by two bigger climbs(steep again) on 4wd tracks and downhills before coming along the base of the hill on a flat grassy section, lots of passing was offered throughout the course which rounded off to make a really nice World Cup course.

Race day came along quickly and with the 4.30pm start time I was easily the most nervous I have ever been for a race the sun had also come out again in full colour for our hottest temperatures so far soaring into the 30s... apparently. I had a longer warm up than usual so I could avoid the burn out zone that I usually go into after the first lap sprint.
I had an awesome start going up 30 places in the first two minutes! but due to only thinking about putting power down I didn't focus enough on what I was doing and made too many mistakes on the first lap to remember, undoing all the hard work and coming around the to start the second lap in the top 60, this did not make me happy (started going green). Fortunately I was determined to make it into the top 35 and started settling into the task at hand. I started passing and dropping a lot of riders as they cracked from a mixture of heat and overdosing in steep climbing.


By the 3rd lap top 35 was within my sights. From this point I was well over excited for the remanding 3 laps, I had never been this high up in a world cup (not even close) and the legs were really burning. The only thing that helped me get through was that I knew every other rider out there was hurting and the red hot chillies songs that were running on repeat in my head.

I pulled in a couple of riders each lap and was so happy to come through in the top 30, 29th in the end. Really eager now to keep the progress going and keep lowering my finish number in each race.



For the next 4 week I will be in France racing the 2nd and 3rd round of the Enduro world series followed by the Mega Avalanche which I have been looking forward to the most this whole trip, will keep you all updated on how they go for sure.

Big thank you to the Yeti Downhill mechanics Nate and Shaun for making sure my Yeti ARC C was practically like new for the race, Adidas Eyewear for the new sunnies and lenses, and to Shimano for their awesome tech support! Rean Bowie and Sam Thompson did an awesome job feeding me. Also to my sponsors Yeit NZ, Black Seal Imports, Wildland Consultants, Adidas Eyewear, Roam Industries, Southstar Shuttles, Bike Culture, and Outdoorsman Headquarters.

Am off to Morzine in France now to start getting used to the fully again.. although did get to ride it down the World Cup downhill course here in Val Di sole.. after the racing was over.

Getting out for some backyard cricket

good times at the XCE

:D


Thanks for reading

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment