Monday, November 26, 2012

Contact Huka XL

The Contact Huka Xl is quite a big event held each year usually on the ast weekend of November and because of its prize money attracts a good strong field each time, my best results previously in this race have been 10th and 10th and I was determined to race a good race.

Race start was 7am, too early I managed to get to the start line 4min before race start and kind of push in front of a bunch of people who got there a lot earlier sorry about that. We had a Cruisey start along the Waikato river down towards the river dam,  then we started coming back and I think the race speed started to pick up and things became a lot more interesting. By the time we reached Crater of the moon there were about 8 of us until we got to the first major climb which split the pack in half leaving me, Dirk, Carl and Sam the top 4. we stuck together for about 30km with the odd attack every now and then but mostly a constant pace. I was feeling really good and attacked at what I thought was the 10km to go mark (turned out to be 15km) and managed to leave the bunch, luckily after I had left the rest of the race was tight single track which I used to as much of my advantage as possible and build a safe 2min gap in between me and second, Finishing 1st in the open men! This has been one of my best results so far and I'm so stoked.. Pay day woohoo.




Recovery meal




The day after the race I took the SB66 Carbon to Christchurch for a blat and had heaps of fun riding in Victoria park getting used to fast burms and big jumps was awesome, have to get some serious speed so I can comp out Cam Cole at the 3 peaks haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment